Tuesday, April 8, 2014

What to wear while working out

In the latest issue of American Vogue, Emily Holt writes a charming and relateable article on her transition from "ratty" tshirts and stretched out yoga pants to nike pants and Athleta tanks. Her article argues that a more styled outfit not only makes you look hotter, but encourages you to work harder too.

Now I half agree and half disagree with the article. I personally know how motivating sleek new workout gear can be. Two Christmases ago I got nike running gear, loads of it. I was in workout clothes heaven and wore my new gear for weeks. It made me look smaller without even having to leave my room! And wearing workout gear throughout the day actually motivated me to workout more. 

When I went on my first long run though, I started to notice my nike sports bra, despite being adorably cute, was cutting into my skin. Then Victoria secret came out with vs sport and the pink line picked up workout gear too. I got a few of the pink yoga pants and a vs sport bra. The yoga pants were comfy and adorable, but instantly showed sweat anytime I worked out! The first time I wore them to the gym my mom asked me if I wet my pants... Not a good look. The vs sports bra also cuts into my skin while I'm running long distances, but it does make me feel like a sexy superhero so I'm keeping it for yoga classes ;) 

The outfit that I've settled on for long distance running is my nike running tights, a tank or tshirt, and sports bras from target! Seriously, they're super cheap but get the job done and never cut into my skin.

If your looking for funny workout tshirts or tanks go to lookhuman.com

That's where I got this baby:

Channel your inner Elle Woods on your next workout 😊

Here are some more adorable workout tanks from look human:

Go to their website and search for your favorite music artist, movie, or pop culture reference and find the right tank for you! 



So I obviously still wear my nike bras when I'm doing shorter runs, or when I really want a cute outfit to motivate me 😜 

The one thing I'm in total agreement with Emily Holt is get the right shoes for your workout! I know nike makes cute pink cross trainers and tie dye unicorn sneakers but don't fall for it! Make sure your shoes match the workouts you'll be doing or your just going to destroy your body. I found that Brooks Ghosts work really well with my specific running stride so I just keep going back :) 

If you're experiencing shin splins I would also highly encourage you to get some compression sleeves. You can get them in different colors to match your workout clothes/shoes. I got green ones for a st Patricks day half marathon:


I also use kt tape for shin splins, ankle pain, and runners knee. Again they come in almost every color:

My point is, find the clothes that work best for you! If you've been stuck in the ratty tshirt and worn out yoga pants, switch it up! Try some running tights or tanks made specifically for working out! If you find that designer workout gear isn't ... Working out... Ditch them and go back to your tshirts. Working out is a personal thing. Were all working towards different goals and we all have different comfort levels.

Just make sure you have the right shoes!!!

Ciao ciao,
Kk

No comments:

Post a Comment