Thursday, March 27, 2014

Making cute outfits for Coachella with clothes you already have!!

It's Thrifty Thursday! And in a weird way also throw back Thursday (but to your old clothes… not your baby pictures). Today's Thrifty Thursday is all about Coachella outfits!

So if you're anything like me, you're signed up for too many clothing companies email updates. If you said yes to that statement, then I'm guessing your inbox is full of emails about festival styles, Coachella, lollapalooza, OH MY! Every single brand, store, and boutique out there is screaming "you need new clothes!". 

Newsflash: you don't. 

What do the emails advertise? "Spring 2014 Festival Bralettes!" Um yeah, those have been extremely popular for 2-3 years now I'm sure you have some. "Mix matched prints!". Seriously? You need new prints? After we just had a year of polka dots, flowers, stripes, and stoner patterns on rotation? "Festival trend update: The Maxi!".  The maxi has been so popular for a few years now you can't go a day without seeing 20 people wearing one. Chances are you're one of those people. "The new cut: High Wasted shorts". OK just because the Jenner sisters started wearing this cut doesn't mean it's a new trend. Everyone in Austrailla knows the truth. 

And finally, and probably the most popular of all slogans: FESTIVAL FLOWERS!!


Hold onto your credit cards ladies and start digging through your closet. This year we're making outfits out of clothes we already own!

First up: the crazy patterned, high waisted shorts you bought last year with a bralette of your choice and the sheer top you got in the fall of 2012… or 2011?

So the first thing to think about when packing for Coachella is the heat. Your going to be in a crowd of strangers in the hot hot desert with stage lights all around you. You also may be partaking in activities that would dehydrate you even if you were out in the snow. So when your packing, think light airy pieces.  

I'm wearing my For Love and Lemons Skivies "Bat your lashes" bra with a sheer top from Nordstroms that I got in 2011 or 2012 (when sheer tops were just becoming popular). I matched them with my high waisted shorts I got for my trip to Hawaii last year. (Remember: Crazy patterns). 

Hippie hair and headbands are also a staple for Coachella. Not only will you feel like a hippy princess, you'll also be keeping your hair off your sweaty forehead (sticky strands of hair is never a good look). 

Tuck in the front of your blouse to show off your shorts and leave the back untucked for a magical flowy effect. 

Second up: The same bralette with a high waisted skater skirt from fall and an over sized denim button up from winter. While for the most part Coachella will be extremely hot, you might want something light to wear while walking to the bus stop in the morning/evening. Or for late night fire circles under the stars with the people sleeping in the car parked next to yours. 

A boyfriend cut denim button up does just the trick. Mine was purchased at the gap. It's extremely lightweight and I can easily roll up the sleeves. 

When it gets too hot later you can let it drape off your shoulders like a shawl (pictured towards the bottom of this post). Or you can tie it around your waist, a style that seems to come back every other year. 

Make sure to choose a bralette you feel comfortable wearing as a shirt. 


Third look: The same bralette and skirt, but this time with a flower blouse from 2012. 
My mom got me this sheer top to go over a tight purple dress and tights (I still wear the outfit). For Coachella, just throw it over one of your bralettes and a high waisted skirt. I personally love this outfit because it's not constricting and there's so much "flounce" in the shirt and skirt. Perfect for spinning around Coachella. 

Blouse was from Nordstroms. The skater skirt is from Brandy Melville (still available). 


Fourth look: Bralette from christmas, crochet top from a friend's spring cleaning pile, and the same shorts. 

Crochet is another Coachella staple you can easily throw on top of any outfit. Match the color of the crochet fibers to your shorts/skirt/dress. I have a few crochet tops but most of them were too tan to work with this outfit so I went with the white one. 

If you want to make this look less hippy and more "tropical adventure" toss of the top and run around in your bralette!


Fifth look: A black maxi dress from last year and a vest from a friends "spring cleaning" pile. 

I can never say it enough: going through friends' old clothes is the greatest thing on the planet. They may be done with certain items but to you it's a whole new ball game. I've worn this black dress all over the place in the past year but this vest I recently had passed on to me makes it a totally new outfit. 

I call it the gypsy effect. Long maxi and layers of jewelry. 

Side note: Long hippy hair looks fantastic but by the end of the day you won't care about looks. You'll be tired and hot. Just toss it up into a bun!

Similar to the last outfit but this time I'm tossing on an old tank top that was lost deep in my closet. 


Another big festival trend this year is the rainbow pattern. Luckily, my love for anything my little pony has prompted me to buy rainbow pattern things whenever possible. For example this tank from Wildfox:

It's over the same maxi dress, but it gives it a whole new feel. I also highly encourage going to a Goodwill or hospice thrift shop to find some awesome costume jewelry. I got mine from my Grandma and then used bobbi pins to place it in my hair like a tiara. 

Speaking of tiaras, here's my flower one again. I made this with Clare a few weeks ago (instructions on how to make your own are in a previous post). 

Last year tank tops with the sides cut out were extremely popular. I got a few in a deal combo from VS Pink last year before going to Hawaii. I haven't worn them since, but decided to pull them out for this. I had worn them with bikini tops last summer which was a more sporty look. For Coachella, find a delicate lace bra to wear underneath for a romanic look. 

If you don't have a lace bra or if you're worried of something showing accidentally, grab a bralette! I've noticed VS Pink is pushing their "new" Hawaiian prints this season. They aren't really new though… last year they had a wide range of Hawaiian print products as well, including the bralette below.  Remember to check your closet before buying anything "new". 

Finally, something I know you all have: a bathing suit top! Bandeau bathing suit tops have been popular for over seven years now. You can easily pair one with shorts or a skirt to make an instant festival outfit! I'm wearing my rainbow (double trend bonus!) bikini top with a lace skirt I got in Italy (2010) and my denim button down from the Gap. I choose to wear the denim button down draped like a shawl this time. 


Flower crowns, rainbows, and lace. Perfection. 

Hope this helps inspire you to check your closet before buying into any "new" trends!

Ciao Ciao, 
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment