Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Pokemon and Sailor Moon Trends xo the 90's

This is no April fools joke… Pokemon are popular again…

Many of you probably already know that Google's "April Fools" prank was … well not really a prank. Actually it's more like the only reason I ever downloaded the Google app. The only thing keeping me from deleting it so far is I haven't found all 152 yet (but I did just find a list of all the locations in case you want to beat your friends… mawhahaha)

It's pretty amusing to find Pokemon wandering around your map:

All you have to do to play is download google maps or update your app and hit start!

The video for this new game is more like a prank because it makes it look like you can see Pokemon on your phone as you walk around. Seriously though that would probably cause a lot of accidents, but can you imagine really going on a hike and seeing a Charizard running at you through your phone??

Ok, maybe it's just my generation. I used to collect the cards in elementary school but instead of "battling" them I would literally draw pictures of a ranch with all of the Pokemon in certain spots (plants type in the garden etc.). I was ten don't judge too harshly…

Here's the video: 




I gave up with Pokemon after Mew. I had a goal of 150, and as soon as they raised the bar I was done. The pictures are still adorable though and have in all seriousness really influenced my own sketching and drawings (I do cartoon pin-ups for friends and my sketches are very cartoony in general). Here are some old favorites of mine:


 


Which were your favorites?? Comment below xo

I know that they're still making new Pokemon (I don't know most of the ones google wants me to find) and new games and movies etc. but I'm happy to say the classic Pokemon are getting a nod from the fashion world as well. 

The brand O-Mighty is known for making clothes covered in famous prints. They have Hey Arnold! tees, little Mermaid clothes, and even old computer logos are printed over and over on tees. I honestly hate their website and have never been able to last more than a few seconds on it. It's just too much going on and you're not able to do a quick search for the item you want (who has time to scroll through all those pages!?).  I gave up on the company awhile ago but am happy to say I found a new store that carries a few of their items! 

Everyone, I give you my new favorite store: Beginning Boutique
Beginning Boutique has an amazing selection of romantic, hip, trendy, and silly clothes (and incredible jewelry!!).  I've recently purchased a set from them that I'm excited to post about in the near future. But now… for the Pokemon tops!!

Beginning Boutique currently has Squirtle and Charmander crop tops available: 


The coloring of the Squirtle one actually looks better in real life (in my opinion). See a Beginning Boutique customer in the Squirtle top below: 



So adorable! 

Beginning Boutique also has an Artemis Crop available: 

If you don't know who Artemis is, he's Sailor Venus' side kick in the Sailor Moon mangas (and tv show). The Manga books are still available (and covered in beautiful images). I wish Naoko Takeuchi would make more of them!

Naoko's drawings were another strong influencing factor in the development of my own sketching methods: 


Venus and Artemis



*So dreamy*

Plenty of other companies have already made Artemis and Luna (black cat) themed clothes. Take for example Brandy Melville: 

And Wildfox: 

Both of these tops are sold out from the stores but occasionally pop back up on eBay. That's how I found my Luna Baggy Beach jumper from Wildfox: 

I was wearing it over a maxi dress while exploring Santa Cruz last summer ❤️


Rumor has it there is going to be a new Sailor Moon series coming out soon!! I've been combing the internet regularly looking for updates ;) The 90s child in me is so incredibly happy right now. 

Ciao ciao, 
Kk 





1 comment: