Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Growing organic foods while recycling at the same time!


So today I was going to tell you all about my new fashion find, but the companies website is down and teasing you all just doesn't seem fair. Instead I'm bringing you a crafty Monday post (inspired by my new fashion find actually… you'll see how tomorrow). 


I came home from work to find not only my bridesmaids dress for Ashlee's wedding, but also this little gem: 


Thank you so, so, SO much Bear!! I can't tell you how happy this made me =) 
Last week on instagram I asked my friends if anyone knew where to get organic seeds, and Danielle delivered! Literally. She has her own amazing garden that produces amazing veggies! Check out her instagram @daniellesalt to see images of the wonderful plant children she has grown. 




Danielle is also a master seed packer… and how cute is that card?
As you can see she gave me plenty of organic and non-gmo seeds to use! The only things I needed after that were a place to plant them and some more soil. 

To make your own recycled garden you need gallon size jugs, seeds, soil, some water, and left over coffee, mmmmm. 

That's right! Plants love coffee too =) 

I happen to keep five gallons of water on me at all times (drink your H2O!), so I already had a stock pile of old jugs ready to go. I also stopped drinking coffee lately for a detox before my big run, but had some left over from friends visiting. Time to toss that temptation in the urban garden!


These gallon jugs are perfect for root crops (which is mainly what Danielle sent me). Root crops usually only need enough soil to fit the length of their body (depth wise).  Each jug can handle about five carrots, four radishes,  or three onions. Obviously if your trying to grow more veggies, you can use another jug or create a planted for your veggies. 

Old coffee can help your plants by giving them nitrogen, magnesium, calcium, potassium etc. They help regulate the PH balance of your soil (some plants require a higher PH balance) and they can also be used to keep unwanted pests at bay (leave the pest killer on the shelf!). You can use old coffee by diluting it in A LOT of water (1/4 coffee, 3/4 water) and giving small doses to your plants once or twice a week. You can also take some of the coffee grounds left over from each pot and gently place them on the top soil. 

Since my plants are just starting, I'm going to make the mixture but wait until the plants are strong enough. I don't want to mess them up with too much acidity early on. 



I used sharpies to label and decorate my recycled jugs



Here's my coffee mixture. This was just a bit of left over coffee that I mixed with a ton of water. Coffee is also great to throw into a compost mixture if you have one going (or want to start one). 


The finished products =) I have nine new "planters" growing outside now! I'm so excited to see them grow! By mid May I should have tons of lettuce, spinach, arugula, carrots and more ready to eat. MMMmmmmmMMMmmmmm

Organic veggies for the win. 

Do you have your own "urban garden" or organic garden growing?? How do you start your seeds and keep your plant "children" growing? Leave comments below =) 

Ciao ciao, 
Kk 





No comments:

Post a Comment